Sunday, November 13, 2011

Time to start doing

If you're like me, you come across several things on a daily basis that make you think "I'm going to do that one day," or the more pathetic version, "I should do that some day... but I probably won't."

With inspiration from my dear friend LoveMuffins, I've decided that today and the next 1000 after it will be the days that I finally do those things. It's called the Day Zero Project and the idea is to make a list of 101 things that you will accomplish in 1001 days.  Sort of like a bucket list... but to be completed in less than 3 years.

When she told me about it, I thought that it sounded like a lot to take on.  Huge (not to mention expensive) life goals popped into mind... like visiting every country in Europe or buying a house.   Then I looked at her list and others and found things like "kiss in the rain" and "make ice cream from scratch." And even better, many goals to improve your community or random acts of kindness like "volunteer for Earth Day" or "put change in someone's expired parking meter."

So here's my list, to be updated as I achieve my goals:


Health/Sports:
  1. Go ice skating
  2. Go horseback riding
  3. Get a massage completed 12/7/11
  4. Eat vegetarian for a week (0/7)
  5. Go to the gym 3 times a week for a month (0/12)
  6. Complete a 5k marathon
  7. Do 20 push ups
  8. Drink eight glasses of water every day for a week (0/7)
  9. Abstain from alcohol for a week (0/7)
  10. Go on a hike
  11. Go to a driving range
  12. Take a dance class
Finances:
  1. Eat in for 2 weeks (0/14)
  2. Pay off all credit card debt
  3. Write my will completed 11/15/11
Relationships:
  1. Take my nephew on an outing of his choosing
  2. Make a birthday cake for someone completed 3/6/12
  3. Go on a family vacation (Booked for May 2012)
  4. Have friends over to my place and cook them dinner completed 2/29/11
  5. Host a theme party completed 12/17/11
  6. Host a potluck dinner completed 12/23/11
  7. Have my parents and in laws each over for dinner and cook for them (0/3)
  8. Give a friend or family member a gift for no reason
Travel/Outings:
  1. Go camping
  2. Visit the Mediterranean (Cruise, booked for May 2012)
  3. Go on a road trip with no specific destination
  4. Visit a state or country that I've never been to completed 12/29/11
  5. Go on a picnic
  6. Visit a local winery
  7. Take a tour of DC
  8. Visit a friend out of state
  9. Pick a pumpkin at a pumpkin patch, carve it, then make pumpkin pie and roasted seeds out of the insides
  10. Visit 3 museums I've never been to before (2/3)
    1. National Museum of Crime and Punishment completed 12/10/11
    2. Newseum completed 2/4/12
Projects:
  1. Make a recipe book of my favorite recipes, including pictures of my homemade dishes
  2. Knit a blanket (began Dec 2011)
  3. Create a painting completed 2/20/12
  4. Make a quilt
  5. Go to a paint-your-own pottery shop
  6. Take a picture in the same place every month for a year then turn it into a calendar (4/12)
Self improvement/Well Being:
  1. Don't complain about anything for a week (0/7)
  2. Practice piano for a half hour every day for 2 weeks (0/14)
  3. Send a thank you note to someone who has inspired me
  4. Learn to drive manual transmission
  5. Spend an entire day outside
  6. Learn how to meditate and do it every day for 2 weeks (0/14)
  7. Be facebook-free for a week (0/7)
  8. Have an “unplugged” vacation
  9. Complete 7 goals in one week (0/7)
  10. Go to church 10 times on a non-holiday (0/10)
  11. Write down my worst memories on a paper and then burn the paper
  12. Read 20 new books (5/20)
    1. Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
    2. Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
    3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    4. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
    5. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
  13. Make a list of 101 things that make me happy (16/101)
  14. Organize my entire apartment and keep it that way for a month (0/31)
  15. Read three biographies or autobiographies (0/3)
Entertainment/Culture:
  1. See every movie that's won a “Best Picture” Oscar, rewatch ones I've already seen (6/85)
  2. Go to a concert with a band I've never seen (tickets for March 2012)
  3. Watch a silent film completed 1/24/12
  4. Either attend a live opera performance or watch a movie of one completed 1/21/12
  5. Go to a professional theatre performance in DC
  6. Listen to a song by a new artist every day for a month (0/31)
  7. Eat a type of cuisine I've never had before
  8. Watch every Harry Potter movie in order over one weekend
  9. See a Broadway show
  10. Make a playlist of my 101 favorite songs (101/101) completed 11/29/11, Spotify link here
  11. Buy a unique piece of art
  12. Re-read the entire Harry Potter series within 3 months (0/7)
  13. Go to a live comedy show
Community/Environment/Random Acts of Kindness:
  1. Adopt a pet
  2. Volunteer in my community
  3. Put change in someone's parking meter that's about to expire
  4. Donate hair to locks of love
  5. Donate 2 boxes or bags of my things to charity
  6. Pay for a stranger in line behind me
  7. Hug at least one person every day for a month (30/30) completed 12/13/11
  8. Order food for pickup instead of delivery
  9. Compliment someone every day for a week (0/7)
  10. Fill a window box full of plants on my balcony
  11. Volunteer at an animal shelter
  12. Don't drive anywhere for a week (0/7)
  13. Only spend money on local businesses for a week (0/7)
  14. When voting in the 2012 election, know what all the candidates stand for and be truly informed on every person I'm voting for
  15. Leave 5 operation beautiful notes (0/5)
Fun for the Sake of Fun:
  1. Make a snow angel
  2. Participate in a poker night
  3. Jump into a body of water fully clothed
  4. Spend an entire day in my Pjs reading books and eating only junk food
  5. Ride a roller coaster
  6. Swim in the ocean
  7. Taste ten new wines, photograph and review them (0/10)
  8. Go all out decorating my apartment for a holiday
  9. Eat at 15 new restaurants within walking distance, photograph and review them (1/15)
    1. Jaleo completed 12/2/11
Misc:
  1. Keep a “my day in 6 wordsblog every day for a month (30/30) completed 12/13/11
  2. Take a picture every day for a month (0/31)
  3. Wear my hair down every day for a week (0/7)
  4. Make one dish out of every cookbook I own (0/15)
  5. Have my piano tuned
  6. Listen to the CD my grandmother made of her reading her poems
  7. Get my nose pierced
  8. Take a walk alone for no reason
 To be completed between the dates of November 13, 2011 and August 10, 2014


And off I go to start doing!

2 comments:

LoveMuffins said...

I love the "My Day in 6 Words" journal idea!!!! I'm probably going to end up stealing some of your ideas when it's time for me to write my next list =) You've got some great ones!

There's no button for me to click to "follow" you though - can you go into "My Settings" and fix that? ;)

Katieschmatie said...

It's at the top right on the blue menu bar, next to the search bar.

Post a Comment