Thursday, December 8, 2011

#3 - Get a massage

Completing this goal felt soooooooo good. Yesterday, my wonderful mother took me to get a massage while she got a facial at Massage Envy, where she's a member.

I have this goal listed under "health" on my goal list because of the many physical and mental health benefits associated with massage therapy:
  • Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs. 
  • Stimulates the flow of lymph, the body's natural defense system, against toxic invaders. For example, in breast cancer patients, massage has been shown to increase the cells that fight cancer.
  • Increased circulation of blood and lymph systems improves the condition of the body's largest organ - the skin. 
  • Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles
  • Reduces spasms and cramping
  • Increases joint flexibility. 
  • Releases endorphins - the body's natural painkiller - and is being used in chronic illness, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain. 
  • Decreased anxiety
  • Enhanced sleep quality
  • Greater energy
  • Improved concentration
  • Reduced fatigue
I can safely say that I went into this appointment needing some of the benefits above.  I love Christmas, but no one can deny that it is a stressful time of year.  Plus, I decided to complete two of my goals to host events within a week of each other. (What kind of crazy person does that?!)  So clearly I was in need of some stress relief.

This massage definitely did the trick. My masseuse was AMAZING.  I've had massages before, and they're always good.  I think this one was the best yet. I left the appointment feeling refreshed, relaxed, and ready to take on the Christmas season once more!

1 comments:

LoveMuffins said...

Heh heh, oh such a rough goal =) Which I am totally stealing for my next list. I especially like your justification of it being a "health benefit" =)
Glad to hear you got some much needed stress relief!!!! I can't wait for those two awesome events!!!!!

Post a Comment