Tuesday, November 29, 2011

#63- Playlist of my 101 favorite songs

When I set out to accomplish this goal, I thought it would be difficult to come up with 101 favorite songs. Now maybe that thought was silly, considering that my music library has 27,675 songs.

My first pass at my music library turned up 176.

Admittedly, I probably had just thrown a few in there that I only really like and don't qualify as a "favorite."  But I was pretty sure it was going to be incredibly difficult to narrow down my list. I mean, I had to kick off 75 beloved songs!

I decided to make a separate "Favorite Musical Theatre Songs" list.  That got me down to 138.  Not bad!  Now I only had to get rid of 37 more.  I sorted it by artist to see if maybe I had too many by one artist.  My first pass had turned up:

Billy Joel (10)
Maroon 5 (7)
Anberlin (6)
Frank Sinatra (6)
Green Day (5)
Michael Buble (5)
Aerosmith (4)

And many with 3 or less. Clearly I had gone a little nuts on the Billy Joel, at least.

So, I set to trimming it down.  Then of course, as I was trimming it down I kept remembering songs I had forgotten to add to the list.  And I had this irrationally intense fear that I would forget a song or artist that I loved.  Perhaps because I identify myself with music so much, it was incredibly important to me to make a list that was truly representative of my favorites.

Due to my irrational fear of screwing up my list, I decided to let it sit for a few days then revisit the list. Immediately I started cutting songs.  I mean, could I really have "Buttons" by the Pussycat Dolls on the same list as "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen?  No.  So now the list was down to 84.

I trimmed and added and trimmed and added some more and I am satisfied with the final result! Here it is, with every carefully chosen song (alphabetical by title). Link to it on Spotify here.  Whew!
  1. 21 Guns - Green Day
  2. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
  3. Alice, Who The F**k is Alice? - Smokie
  4. All You Need is Drums to Start a Dance Party - Piebald
  5. And So It Goes - Billy Joel
  6. Angel - Aerosmith
  7. Apologize - OneRepublic
  8. Awkward Game - Gabriella Cilmi
  9. Back At Your Door - Maroon 5
  10. B*tch - Meredith Brooks
  11. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  12. Boyz in the Hood - Dynamite Hack
  13. Brick House - Commodores
  14. Buddy Holly - Weezer
  15. Bullets in the Gun - Toby Keith
  16. Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
  17. Candle (Sick and Tired) - The White Tie Affair
  18. Chicken Fried - Zac Brown Band
  19. Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
  20. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing - Sufjan Stevens
  21. Cotton - The Mountain Goats
  22. Crazy - Aerosmith
  23. Crazy - Patsy Cline
  24. Crazy Love - Michael Buble
  25. Cryin' - Aerosmith
  26. Dismantle. Repair - Anberlin
  27. Don't Speak - No Doubt
  28. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
  29. Don't Stop the Music - Jamie Cullum
  30. Don't Worry Baby - Beach Boys
  31. Dream On - Aerosmith
  32. Dude (Looks Like a Lady) - Aerosmith
  33. End of the World As We Know It - R.E.M.
  34. Everything - Michael Buble
  35. Fallin' - Alicia Keys
  36. Feel Good Drag - Anberlin
  37. Feeling Good - Michael Buble
  38. Fields of Athenry - Dropkick Murphys
  39. Fields of Gold - Sting & The Police
  40. Follow Me - Uncle Kracker
  41. Glasgow Love Theme - Craig Armstrong
  42. Godspeed - Aerosmith
  43. Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
  44. Heart of Gold - Neil Young
  45. Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana
  46. Hotel California - The Eagles
  47. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
  48. I'm Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys
  49. I Gotta Feeling - The Black Eyed Peas
  50. I Like It, I Love It - Tim McGraw
  51. I Won't - Colbie Caillat
  52. If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys
  53. If I Ever Leave This World Alive - Flogging Molly
  54. Inevitable - Anberlin
  55. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
  56. The Kids Aren't Alright - The Offspring
  57. The Lady Is A Tramp - Frank Sinatra
  58. The Longest Time - Billy Joel
  59. Love in an Elevator - Aerosmith
  60. Love You Till The End - The Pogues
  61. The Luckiest - Ben Folds
  62. Lucky - Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat
  63. Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel) - Billy Joel
  64. Make You Feel My Love - Adele
  65. Many The Miles - Sara Bareilles
  66. Misery - Maroon 5
  67. More of You - MoZella
  68. New Soul - Yael Naim
  69. The One I Love - David Gray
  70. The Only Exception - Paramore
  71. Only The Good Die Young - Billy Joel
  72. Orange Blossom Special - Scythian
  73. Paperthin Hymn - Anberlin
  74. Rain Night in SoHo - Bogside Rogues
  75. Rebels of the Sacred Heart - Flogging Molly
  76. Secret - Maroon 5
  77. Secrets - OneRepublic
  78. Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
  79. She - Green Day
  80. She's Got a Way - Billy Joel
  81. SING - My Chemical Romance
  82. Smile - Uncle Kracker
  83. So Contagious - Acceptance
  84. Somebody to Love - Queen
  85. Stuck Like Glue - Sugarland
  86. Stutter - Maroon 5
  87. Sunday Morning - Maroon 5
  88. Take Me (As You Found Me) - Anberlin
  89. This Love - Maroon 5
  90. This Year - The Mountain Goats
  91. To The Wolves - Anberlin
  92. Toxic - A Static Lullaby
  93. Turn Me On - Norah Jones
  94. Undisclosed Desires - Muse
  95. Uptown Girl - Billy Joel
  96. Walk This Way - Aerosmith feat. Run DMC
  97. Witchcraft - Frank Sinatra
  98. You and I - Ingrid Michaelson
  99. You and I - Lady Gaga
  100. You Belong Here - Anberlin
  101. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC

5 comments:

To Be Surprised said...

I looove Cotton by the mountain goats! I think I heard it on weeds (along with Ballerina by leona naess) and they are two of my highest played favorite songs.

Katieschmatie said...

That's where I heard it too!

LoveMuffins said...

What's wrong with having Buttons on the same list as Bohemian Rhapsody????

Katieschmatie said...

Oh honey... I hope that's sarcastic.

LoveMuffins said...

I have a feeling you would highly disapprove of MY list if I did this LOL.

Post a Comment